A mixed-use storefront
Located on Vliet Street, this mixed-use building has a large commercial space on the first floor and a residential space on the second. The backyard and garage are sited off an alleyway. The ground level entry opens onto a large room that occupies most of the building’s footprint. Over the years this easily accessible room has served as a market, campaign headquarters, office, tavern and a grocery store. Located along the eastern wall is an enclosed stairwell that, in its current iteration, can only be accessed from the exterior of the building. Next to the stairwell is a small bathroom and a closet. Also located in the north end of the ground floor is a relatively large kitchen with access to a rear stairwell and rear entry.
The most recent use of the ground level is in the form of a congregational space for the Salvation Church of God. Although the building no longer holds worship services, it continues to be used as a meeting space and storage space. The upper floor is residential and is rented out. The BLC field school didn't have access to the upper floor.
The building has seen multiple uses and occupancies in the past.
6/9/1910 - Built - Food Market
11/12/1925 - Garage built
1/23/1935 - Food Market
2/7/1936 - Campaign Headquarters for two months
10/14/1936 - Office
7/15/1937 - Shapiro Tavern
7/25/1950 - May’s & Hy’s Tavern
5/20/1976 - Tavern - Allan Richter
8/23/1979 - Tavern - Issac Harper
11/11/1981 - Grocery Store
Storefront architecture in mixed use buildings
The architecture of the storefront is typical of this building type from the first decade of the 20th C. The central recessed entrance with storefront displays, wooden transoms, lintels and bulkheads are still visible under the current boarded up facade. Similar storefronts were common along Vliet Street during the early half of the 20th C. as seen in archival images from that period.